Loved Julianna Margulies retro 60s look? Adored Jane Krakowski’s glam ‘do or Rose Byrne’s polished waves? I’ve go the deets for you.
Okay, so some of the SAG Award gowns were awful. The jewelry, accessories and of course the hair was delightful! Loved Claire Danes' pony, Julianna Margulies bump or Rose Byrne’s sexy waves, then read on!
Glee star Naya Rivera was a bombshell in her Donna Karan gown. Her hair, styled by Clyde Haywood added softness and glamour to her ensemble. It was very old Hollywood and it only takes three steps to create this look at home.
1. Clyde applied Frizz-Ease Hair Serum Original Formula to Naya’s wet hair before blow-drying. “We wanted defined waves, and this serum blocks out frizz and gives you sleek results,” said Clyde.
2. Next, Clyde used a curling iron with a 1 ½ inch barrel to begin curling hair section by section, pinning each curl with a duckbill clip and spraying Frizz-Ease Moisture Barrier Firm Hold Hairspray to set.
3. Once the curls cooled, Clyde sprayed just a few spritzes Frizz-Ease Spiral Style Spray Gel for definition and added shine. “We also used this gel formula to sculpt the hair away from Naya’s face so her romantic makeup would be more visible when she hit the red carpet.”
1. Josh applied a few pumps of the John Frieda Frizz-Ease Thermal Protection Formula Hair Serum through wet hair and blow dried using a large, round bristle brush. "The key to this look is a flawless blowout," said Josh. “Her waves need to be completely controlled and any hint of frizz would disrupt the style."
2. After sectioning off the hair, Josh wrapped each section around a small curling iron and then carefully brushed it out.
3. Josh finished off the look by applying a sheer coat of John Frieda Frizz-Ease 100% Shine to ensure that her waves glistened when the light from the flash bulbs hit on
Celebrity stylist Creighton Bowman of Exclusive Artists Management gave 30 Rock star Jane Krakowski a chic chignon that goes with anything you wear. It’s just chic and romantic.
1. He washed Jane’s hair with René Furterer Okara light activating shampoo followed with René Furterer Okara light activating conditioner. The anti-fading formula created especially for highlighted and lightened hair helped protect Jane’s beautiful blonde hair color, and kept it looking vibrant.
2. To prep Jane’s hair for styling, he used René Furterer Vegetal Styling Straightening Gel from roots to ends on towel-dried hair to smooth it and protect it again heat. Then he used René Furterer Vegetal Styling Vegetal Mousse to the roots for volume and structure.
3. Using a medium round brush, he gave Jane’s hair a basic round brush blow-out with a messy deep side part.
4. To give her hair texture, he first put in random curls with a ½ inch curling iron. Then hebroke up the curl pattern with a flat iron and sprayed her hair with René Furterer Naturia Dry Shampoo to give it an undone texture.
5. For the next to final step, he pulled Jane’s hair into a low loose ponytail. The ponytail was wrapped into a loose chignon with a few stray pieces before it was secured into place with hairpins.
6. He finished with a few spritz of René Furterer Vegetal Styling Vegetal Finishing Spray to hold everything in place and give it great shine.
The “brand spanxing-mom,” her words not mine wore her blond locks in a chic pony. Celebrity hairstylist Peter Butler told Claire, “If we try and make this Hollywood, it just won’t work,” so he kept the look fresh and cool but still elegant with soft pieces falling around the face. “The dress is very sharp looking and I wanted to soften it by giving her a cool ‘New York girl’ style,” he said.
1. Starting with wet hair, he applied Matrix Amplify Foam Volumizer evenly throughout hair to provide hold, texture and volume and Total Results Blonde Care Flash Filler Sheer Mist to ends so that they would smooth out nicely and look finished and polished.
2. Blew hair out with a medium round brush.
3. Brushed hair into a side part and lightly ran Biolage Exquisite Oil Replenishment Treatment over hair to smooth flyaways.
4. Applied Design Pulse Mega Dust to roots at the crown of her head and lightly teased to provide height to the pony.
5. Gathered hair at the nape of the neck, leaving out some angles in the front, and secured with a bungee elastic, joining the two hooks underneath the pony.
6. Pulled out small pieces around her ears to keep the look ethereal and not too done.
7. Lightly sprayed Total Results Amplify Hairspray to keep it all together, while not looking too stiff or finished.
8. Finished off the look with a few sprays of Total Results Blonde Care Flash Filler Sheer Mist as a shine spray to bring out and enhance her blonde hue.
A lot of people, including me took one look at Julianna Margulies’ gown and went, “WTF!” Yet, everyone adored her sexy, retro hairstyle.
How’d she do it? Celebrity hairstylist Sebastian Scolarici was the man responsible for that envious ‘do.
1 Sebastian prepped Julianna’s damp hair with L’Oréal Paris EverStyle Alcohol-Free Volume Boosting Mousse. He also applied L’Oréal Paris EverStyle Alcohol-Free Root Lifting Spray to her roots for targeted volume at the crown.
2. After blow-drying smooth with a round-brush, Sebastian separated Julianna's hair into 5-6 sections and curled individual pieces with a 1-inch-barrel curling iron.
3. Each curl was temporarily set in place with a roller pin (while Julianna was in makeup).
4. Post-makeup, hair was released from roller pins and brushed through to create soft waves (versus a tight spiral); Sebastian worked a bit of L’Oréal Paris Advanced Haircare Smooth Intense Frizz Taming Serum into hair to smooth down any frizzies or flyaways.
5. Next, hair was teased at the crown to create high-volume.
6. A piece of black satin ribbon was used as a simple and chic headband to separate the look - keeping the front of hair sleek and back of hair voluminous.
7. Sebastian finished the look by spraying a generous amount of L’Oréal Paris Elnett Satin Hairspray to lock in her style while leaving hair brushable. "I love that Elnett doesn't leave a film ... especially on dark hair like Julianna's," Sebastian says.